Spirit of a Child Foundation
Fall 2017 Parent-Child Weekend
The Spirit of a Child Foundation will hold its Fall 2017 Parent-Child Project retreat weekend in beautiful St. George Island, Florida. The Project will be hosted by Journeys of SGI with focus on environmental education and activities that require family members to work together and build healthy communication skills.
The criterion for the families is that they are in a situation of financial hardship, such as a parent living with cancer, a family living in extreme poverty, or a military family adversely affected by combat who may suffer from a physical or emotional injury, including post-traumatic stress disorder or a loss of a parent or child.
Participants will be responsible for transportation down to St. George Island on November 10, 2017 for check-in between 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm EST and Departure on November 12,2017 at 5:00 pm EST. “Our families” will be treated to a three day excursion on St. George Island with the help of Journeys SGI. Each day will jam-packed with incredible fun and life changing opportunities to explore and experience things only nature can provide!
PLEASE NOTE: due to the nature of this project, participating children must be age 7-14, and they must be able to participate well in a group absorbing educational opportunities so that the learning environment is not disrupted.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS PROJECT:
The parent or guardian seeking to attend this event with his or her child age 7-14 should write ONE page 8 1/2″ x 11″ letter to the Foundation at P.O Box 13954, Tallahassee, FL 32317., listing the child’s age on November 10, 2017, and stating:
1. Why the parent or guardian believes he or she needs to spend more quality time with his or her child;
2. Why the parent or guardian could not otherwise afford to attend such an event with the child;
3. Why the child could especially benefit from this particular experience; and
4. What special attributes or interest the child possesses that make this St. George Island opportunity particularly interesting to the child.
* PLEASE DO NOT SEND VIDEOS, PHOTOGRAPHS, ECT.
The Letter must be POSTMARKED by September 30, 2017.
The following expenses will be paid for by the Foundation:
– Hotel accommodations from Friday, November 10, 2017 with check out on Sunday, November 12, 2017.
– Meals beginning with dinner on November 10, 2017, three meals a day on Saturday, November 11, 2017, and breakfast and lunch on Sunday, November 12, 2017.
– All related costs associated with activities held by our host tour group.
– Participants will be responsible for transportation down to St. George Island on November 10, 2017 for check-in between 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm EST and Departure on November 12,207 at 5:00 pm EST.
Participants will be responsible for personal items and incidentals including cell phones, phone calls, personal snacks, ect.